I usually like my weekends to be nicely balanced – with a little relaxation, some time for discovery, (there are always treasures to be found at the Farmers Market and gems to scope up at local thrift stores and yard sales) and a bit of work. But this weekend was none of that. I got the stomach flu (I will spare you the details) so it was me, stomach flu, and Pinterest. But today is a new day, Happy Monday! Hope everyone had a better weekend than mine! It has been raining all morning and I love it! In my book rain calls for tea and noodles! Hot spicy noodles. And I don’t have to leave home. Best of all these noodles take a whopping 5 minutes and have less than half the calories of take-out. They are husband and brother-in law approved as well. 🙂
Garlic Spicy Noodles
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups of broccoli carrot slaw from Trader Joe’s
- 1/2 a lemon
- Thinly sliced green onion
- 3 dried mounds of Organic Canton Style egg Noodles ( Got mine at my local health food store)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp of crushed pepper oil
- 3 tbsp of Oyster Sauce
- 3 tbsp of Plum Sauce
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce ( or to taste)
- 1/4 cup of cashews
- In a pan or wok, heat sesame oil. When it is very hot, add in garlic and fry briefly before throwing in the slaw, green onions and crushed pepper oil . Stir fry for about 1 minute.
- Add Oyster and Plum sauce and allow to simmer (about 1 minute). Maintain medium-high heat throughout.
- Add cashews
- Add in the egg noodles (cook noodles according to directions on package), making sure you submerge them in the sauce as much as possible. Add soy sauce and lemon juice. Cover with a lid and let the noodles stew in the sauce for 2 to 3 minutes. Open lid and check for doneness. There should be little or no sauce when the dish is done. Do not overcook or the noodles will become soggy.
- Dish up on serving plate and garnish with green onions
Remember that these measurements are all approximations; I always go in after the fact and taste, add, taste, adjust.
I’m a rebel. Recipes make me feel trapped.
Feel free to add tofu, beef, chicken, or more veggies!